Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Running Unplugged

Typically, I run with a handful of accessories. This past Sunday I ran 15 miles traveling with my amphipod hydration system, blackberry, ipod, shotblocks, 10 dollars cash and a notecard telling me the next street I needed to turn on. I wished I had downloaded NPR's "This American Life." It would of given me something to actually focus on rather than not even listening to my ipod. I began to wonder why I even brought this piece of technology when I don't even listen to it. I mean it's on but I'm not listening.

So today, I decided to go unplugged. My boyfriend and I woke up earlier than normal to go for a run. He wanted to run for 20 minutes before work and being the good girlfriend that I am, I woke up at 6:10 to go with him. (I set my alarm for 5:45 am but I never heard it go off. That always scares me especially when I have to be at work at 6:00 am!)

So off we went down the path and halfway through the run my bf asks me if I wished I had my ipod. It's like he could read my mind. I finally felt free without the ipod. I could hear my feet hitting the pavement, the birds chirping around me. It was wonderful.

After the 20 minute run I still had 6 more miles to go. We came back to the house and I grabbed my ipod. This was not because I wanted it but because I was running alone. I then put the ipod back down and decided I wanted to run the next 6 just as free as the first 2.

I admit it - best decision of the day so far. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment