Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Feeling Good, Feeling Great

When I don't have to rush to get my run in, I get up earlier and have the greatest run. I'm off of work today and could of ran anytime but decided to actually get up at 7:00 and was out the door by 7:50. The 7 miles felt light and smooth as if my body was meant to run 7 miles everyday.

After the 13 mile run two weekends ago, I was concerned that my training was making me slower. My legs felt heavy and I just dragged my feet to get the runs in. I would self talk myself out of running but then talk myself back into it.

This past Sunday, was a test of my speed as I ran the Yardley 5k in Yardley, PA. It was a last minute decision to run but once I woke up at 6:30 am and I knew I was going to go. Yardley, is a cute little town with a family feel. I saw a few of my former co-workers from Princeton University and thought what a small world we live in. Even the wife of one of my former co-workers knows my current employers! 6 degrees of freedom seems a bit to big - I really think it's 2 degrees in my world.

The route we took was starting from the Starbucks in town down to make a left onto route 32 make a left onto the canal and follow back up to the Starbucks. I was clocked at 24.23. I came in 4th in my age group and 35th overall. I spent most of the run by myself because there was a small pack in front of me that were running under 7 minute miles and then there was a huge group behind me running 9 minute plus miles. I had to find my focus as most of the people that ran were townies. Everytime I passed a crowd they had cheered for the people in front of me and then they were cheering the people behind me. I was really all by myself.

This weekend is a big 15 miler that I'm going to run in NYC. My best friend and I are going to start our butts in Washington Heights and work our way down to Central Park and then back up the other side of the park back up to the Heights. After today's run I feel like I could run all day - hopefully that stays with me throughout my training.

Later today I'll be picking up my farm share. I still have Swiss Chard and Zucchini from last week. I need to be a cooking machine!

No comments:

Post a Comment